Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sing.....sing a song.....sing it loud.....blah blah blah

Isn't it funny how a song can take you immediately back to a different place in time? 

There are certain songs that immediately dredge up GREAT memories for me.  There are others that will bring me to tears every single time I hear them. 

Len - Steal my Sunshine:  roadtripping in the green grand am with Rikka and Dahlen.  Immediately.  And I crank it up.  Over 10 years ago. 

Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me:  my nephew's funeral.  Instant tears after almost 10 years.

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy:  being a little kid all over again.  I don't want to do the math on that. 

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter:  College, guitars and baseball players.  I think that's enough said on that one.

Lit - My Own Worst Enemy:  College, house party, back when we'd hook up our Napster to the stereo speakers so we could all enjoy some pirated music.  Hey, I can't help it if the school gave us all laptops.

Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's:  High school, rollin with the homies.

Bee Gees (Kenny Rogers?  Gatlin Brothers?) - Buried Treasures:  Kindergarten - yes, it's true.  I only remember the chorus, but yeah!!  WOO!! :)

There are just so many.  Harvey Danger, Weezer, The Flies, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Nelson, Oasis, Kenny Chesney, Tiffany, Whitney Houston (before Crack was Whack)....just so many memories. 

Then I wonder what songs are currently shaping the boys' memories.  Is it Dynamite?  I've heard them sing along with that one at the top of their lungs.  Is it frickin Bieber?  Again, at one point it was J-Bird's fave.  I heard it all the time.  Or will it be Superbass, like these adorable girls from England? 

The other day in the car, they sang along to Shake it For Me in the backseat.  What the what???  How do you even know that song???  They heard it on the school bus I guess.  No longer do I have any control over what they hear and what they latch on to.  Crap.  Please don't let it be S&M by Rihanna.  She scares me. 

1 comment: