Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kinder kids

What was I thinking - having two boys with summer birthdays.  Thankfully, I got it right by the time the third one rolled around - he's a March.  No questions about going to kindergarten when he's 5.  Our first child - he's a June.  We did the kindergarten readiness and screening that is required by the school - he of course was very ready.  Our second child - he misses the cutoff for entering kindergarten by ONE DAY. 

ONE DAY.  So now we have to go through some extra hoops if we want him to go to kindergarten when he's 5.  Yes, he would turn 5 the month he would start school.  So now we apply to early admission.  Because he misses by ONE DAY.  In addition to the regular school screening, he also has to go an extra screening through the county. 

It's such a hot topic among parents (and grandparents apparently, yes, mom, I realize you're triyng in your own passive-agressive way to get me to keep him back until he's 6).  The thing is - he's ready.  He can do all the things that the school says he should be able to do by the END of the kindergarten year.  So I know he's ready. 

My only concern is that during his testing/screening - what if he frickin chokes?  What if he starts messing around?  Screening happens well before he's 5 - it starts in March!  Ack!  I do NOT want to pay for daycare for another year for this kid. ;)

1 comment:

  1. i beg to differ. I do not want you to keep him back. I just told you what a teacher whose opinion I respect said about kids. Sean made it under the deadline by 3 days. do i think a few days makes a difference? no. i just think teachers have a different view of our kids than we as parents do.

    ReplyDelete