Wednesday, January 5, 2011


I guess, if there's any time to be snowed in, it's after the "traveling" holidays.  If I gotta be stuck at home, thank goodness there aren't relatives stuck here too.  :) 

I'll admit, usually I don't really believe the meteorologists who predict these "massive storms" and whatnot.  Half the time, they fizzle.  Sure, there'll be snow, but not quite what they predict.  So this past week, they predicted a one-two punch of storms (btw, I feel sporty when I say "one-two punch!").  First storm was a winter storm warning.  Second storm had a blizzard warning attached.  Ended up, they were right. :)  Like, it was bad enough to close interstates and you were ca-ra-zy for trying to go out in it. 100 car pileup. They rescued stranded motorists using snowmobiles. Um, are we in the Antarctic? Seriously?

I went to work on the eve of New Year's Eve, but took DH's pickup just in case the weather did take a turn for the worse.  The girls at work convinced me to take off at 10:30 since visibility was crap and we live 15 miles north of the metro area (yes, Fargo is a metro area).  I stopped at the grocery store for some essentials (pizza, milk, bread and eggs).   Then a quick stop to Cake and Candy World to buy some flowers to put on a cake because I felt lazy and didn't want to make my own flowers.  So then I get to the boys' daycare at 11:30.  DH calls and says that if I don't leave town now, I better have packed an overnight bag.  Oh crap.  If he thinks it's bad, then it's B.A.D. 

I strap the boys in and get on the road.  It takes me an hour and 15 minutes to make it 15 miles.  All of that is on interstate except for the last 2 miles.  I've NEVER driven in anything like it before in my life.  I can't even remember being a passenger in a vehicle that bad in my life except for one time in high school coming home from Grand Forks and we had a big bag cell phone in the car that we turned on to call my friend's parents to let them know how crappy it was outside and then we promptly turned it off.  And got yelled at when we got to her house because they were trying to call us and make sure we were ok.  HA! 

Anyway, so I make it home with the boys, and we settle in for a LOOOONNNNG weekend stuck in the house.  Thursday afternoon until Sunday.  I've done it before, but not because I was forced to - as in we can't get out of our driveway.  And if we could, we can't get out of our development.  And if we could, we can't get onto the highway because it's CLOSED people. 

I impressed DH and my kids at my Super Mario Brothers skills, baked a cake, took down Christmas decorations and did the minimal amount of cleaning I felt I had to. ;)

And it was GREAT to get out of the house on Sunday afternoon for brunch and a matinee with the girls.  I've never been so happy to escape see my friends.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment