Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Punky Brewster anyone?

I’ve been trying to inflict my 80’s childhood and 90’s teenage years onto my children. And they JUST DON’T GET IT.

I try to get them to watch the Smurfs and the Snorks on Cartoon Network. Turn off that Wow Wow Wubbzy and let’s watch some little blue half naked smurfs instead! And Asreal. And Gargamel. Loved them. The boys do not.

The other day in the car, J-Bird said something about his buddy. And so I burst into the jingle “My buddy, my buddy, my buddy and me!” And then subsequently “Kid sister, kid sister, kid sister and me!” He was not amused and told me stop singing. Do you remember those dolls? How freaky were they!?!? Yikes.

I’ve also tried teaching them some bad-arse dance moves. You know, the arm dribble up and down thing when Kriss Kross comes on singing “JUMP” – you know you’ve done it. You’re probably bobbing your head and doing the arm motion right now, aren’t you? I am. Hard to type that way, I tell you what.

I will also sing that stupid Dan Baird song to them “I love you period. Do you love me question mark? Please please exclamation point. I wanna hold you in parentheses.” I had to google who sang it and I honestly didn’t realize what the song was about but I swear I only sing that one chorus to them. Ahem.

Last straw the other day was trying to teach them the Joey Tribbiani “How YOU Doin” line. They could NOT get it. “How are you doing Mommy?” No, not quite. “How’re you doing?” No, not yet guys. “How you dooooing?” Sigh. Then T-Dog pipes up with “why can’t we say it our way??” And so I had to tell him it is FUNNY to say it like Joey Tribbiani. Cue a blank look from the backseat. At least my husband and my friends get my stupid references. I will teach these boys yet though!

No comments:

Post a Comment