Saturday, June 26, 2010

RoadKill Cafe

I hate roadkill.  And road construction. 

As of right now, they are intertwined in my head.  I live in an area that has the longstanding joke that there are two seasons - Winter and Road Construction.  Since there's no snow right now, you know what's going on.  Road construction.  Of my 12 mile commute to work, 10 of it are under road construction.  If I'm going to daycare, then my commute hops up to probably 20 miles.  And 15 of it is road construction.  I do need to admit that these are estimates - I don't usually measure in miles, I measure in minutes it takes.  I am a girl.  Anyway, I can't escape it - the road construction, not the being a girl.  Well....hmm.  Nevermind.

The other day, I had to go through neighborhoods that I've never been in to get to my favorite grocery store (yes, it's a chain and they have other locations, but I LIKE my store and yes, I will get there however long it takes).  It's got 2 main roads that meet right by the store - both of which are under construction.  I'm following detour signs and kids on bikes and finally see it shining like a beacon in the orange.  Phew. 

So that was a lot of info and I haven't even gotten to the guts [heh heh] of the post.  Back to the roadkill. 

I swerve to avoid anything that might try to cross the road in front of me.  Big animals (of course), but also gophers, mice, squirrels, etc.  I will flinch if a bird swoops in front of the windshield.  Probably not the best way to drive.  Right now, on the one section of two-way traffic on my drive, there are 3 dead raccoons and 2 deer.  Unfortunately, they are in the middle of the two-way traffic - not off to the side of the road where I don't have to look.  So yes, I close my eyes (or avert them) when I see that I am getting close to where they are. 

Who is responsible for removing roadkill from the highway?  Is it the DOT or the DOW or the construction company that is out there every day seeing them?  Let me google it.  Well, first I binged it.  I'm not a binger, I'm a googler.  I need to stay true to my roots here.  Let's google.  Huh.  I don't think that I need the menu from Texas Roadhouse.  Really? 

I can't find crap.  Here's what I found. My state is very hard to find actual regulations (after being re-directed etc).  There are websites with pictures or videos of roadkill.  Gross. 

Does anyone know?  Or will I have to continually close my eyes while driving?  Is that better or worse than texting and driving?  Food for thought. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! Yay - so glad you took the plunge. Writing is fun. It clears your head. And I don't know a thing about roadkill policies. But I also swerve for birds.

    ReplyDelete